The News Time: Disasters
Showing posts with label Disasters. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Disasters. Show all posts

Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Seven killed in Swat roof collapse


SWAT: At least seven people including five children were killed when roof of a house collapsed in Madyan.
According to sources, deceased included husband, wife and five children.

Sunday, 20 November 2011

Breaking News

KARACHI: At least six people have been injured in a blast inside Kumar cinema here at Lee Market,
According to Rangers personnel, nothing could be said about the nature of the blast as yet.
Rescue team members are trying to get to the injured people, source said.

Saturday, 19 November 2011

Breaking News

لکي مروت: دلوخيل پھاٹک کے قريب تيز رفتار کوچ کي موٹر سائيکل کو ٹکر، 2 افراد ہلاک، ايک زخمي، پوليس      

Friday, 18 November 2011

Thousands evacuated from Nevada wildfire


LOS ANGELES: Nearly 10,000 people were evacuated and a state-wide emergency declared Friday as a wildfire ripped through parts of Reno, Nevada, officials and reports said.
Residents who did not immediately have to evacuate were told to stay indoors after smoke engulfed the area, and as some 450 firefighters battled to contain the 2,000-acre (810-hectare) Caughlin Fire in southwest Reno.
"Crews from multiple fire response agencies are working diligently to fight the fire," the city fire department said, adding: "Air quality readings throughout the valley are elevated regionwide."
Some 9,500 people had so far been evacuated as Nevada state, Washoe county and Reno city authorities all declared a state of emergency, Reno said on its official website. 
The Reno Gazette-Journal reported that 25 houses had been affected by the blaze, but cited fire officials saying that 4,900 homes were potentially threatened in the fire area.
Reno Fire Chief Mike Hernandez declined to speculate on what caused the fire or where it started, according to the newspaper.

رجانہ،کاراورٹریکٹرٹرالی میں تصادم،3ہلاک


ٹوبہ ٹیک سنگھ:  پنجاب  کے شہر رجانہ میں  ٹریکٹر ٹرالی اور کار کے درمیان ہونے والے تصادم کے نتیجے میں 3 افراد ہلاک جب کہ 5 زخمی ہوگئے ہیں۔
نمائندے کے مطابق ٹوبہ ٹیک سنگھ اور کمالیہ کے درمیان موجود شہر رجانہ میں حادثہ صبح سویر ے دھند کی وجہ سے پیش آیا۔
رسیکیو ذرائع کے مطابق  حادثے میں ہلاک 3 افراد میں 5 سالہ بچہ بھی شامل ہے کار فیصل آباد جارہی تھی۔
ذرائع نے مزید بتایا کہ  حادثے  میں زخمی ہونے والے افراد کو رجانہ اسپتال منتقل کردیا گیا ہے جب کہ شاہراہ کو ٹریفک کے کھل دیا گیا ہے۔

روالپنڈی،امپیرل مارکیٹ کی127دکانیں جل گئیں

روالپنڈی:پاکستان کے جنوبی صوبے پنجاب کے شہر روالپنڈی کے راجہ بازار کی امپیرل مارکیٹ میں آگ لگ گئی  جو کہ 127 سے زائد دکانوں کو اپنی لپیٹ میں لے چکی ہے۔
نمائندے کو ریسکیو ذرائع نے بتایا کہ آتشزدگی  الیکڑونکس مارکیٹ میں ہوئی جس کو بجھانے کےلیے فائربرگیڈ کا عملہ جائے حادثہ پر پہنچ گیا ہے۔
ریسکیو ذرائع نے مزید بتایا کہ آگ شارٹ سرکٹ کی وجہ سے ہوئی جس سے لاکھوں روپے کی الیکٹرونکس مصنوعات جل کر راکھ ہوگئی ہیں جب کہ تاحال آگ  پر قابو نہیں پایا جاسکا ہے۔
ریسکیو ذرائع نے حادثے میں زخمی یا مرنے والے افراد کی تصدیق نہیں کی ہے۔

11 killed, 30 injured in road accidents

KHANEWAL/CHAKWAL - At least 11 people were killed and 30 were injured in separate road accidents in Khanewal and Kallar Kahar on Thursday. According to details, a Raiwind-bound bus carrying 51 passengers, who were going to participate in a religious congregation, rammed into a truck due to brake failure on the motorway, killing six people and injuring 27. 
The Motorway Police confirmed that the bus (registered number K-6225) collided with the truck (registered number Z-6751) due to brake failure.
Rescue teams moved 15 injured passengers to the DHQ Hospital, Chakwal, and 12 others to Fuji Foundation Hospital. The three deceased passengers have been identified as Naimatullah, Mohammad Shafiq and Daud. The second road accident took place in Khanewal where five passengers including two girls and three men were killed and three others were injured when a car collided with a bus near Hussaini Chowk. Rescue officials have blamed the driver’s negligence for the accident. The injured have been shifted to the District Headquarters Hospital, Khanewal.

Thursday, 17 November 2011

بھارتی وومین کبڈی ٹیم حادثےکاشکار،2ہلاک

بھٹنڈا :بھارتی پنجاب کے شہر بھٹنڈا میں خواتین کی بس کو حادثہ پیش آیا ہے جس کےنتیجے میں ڈرائیور اور فوجی  ہرجیت سنگھ موقع پر ہلاک جب کہ  5 کھلاڑی زخمی ہوگئیں ہیں۔

نمائندے کے مطابق حادثہ مقامی وقت کے مطابق  شام 5:30 بجے  اس وقت پیش آیا جب  بھارتی فوج کا ٹرک مخالف سے آتےہوئے بس سے ٹکرا گیا۔
ذرائع کا کہنا ہے کہ بس کے فوجی ٹرک سے ٹکرانے کے فوراً  آگ بھڑک اٹھی تھی جیسے خالی کروالیا گیا تھا ۔
حادثہ انتہائی شدید تھا جس سے فوجی ٹرک کا بھی کافی نقصان ہوا ہے جب کہ زخمی ہونے والی خواتین کھلاڑیوں کو  مقامی اسپتال منتقل کردیا ہے۔
اسپتال انتظامیہ کے مطابق کھلاڑیوں کی حالت انتہائی نازک ہے جن کو آئی سی یو میں داخل کردیا گیا ہے۔
بھارتی پنجاب کے اسپورٹس بورڈ نے واقعے  پر افسوس کا اظہارکرتے ہوئے کہا ہےکہ  اس طرح کے واقعات  کھیل  کے لیے نقصان دہ ہیں۔
یاد رہے  بھارت کی ریاست پنجاب کے شہر روپ نگر میں  مرد کی کبڈی کا عالمی مقابلہ جاری ہے جس کے سیمی فائنل میں پاکستان اور انڈیا کی ٹیمیں پہنچ چکی ہیں۔

Tuesday, 15 November 2011

5.8-magnitude quake hits Indonesia's Papua


 JAKARTA: A 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck the Papua region in Indonesia's far east on Wednesday, US seismologists said, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage.
The quake occurred on land at 8:42 am (2342 GMT Tuesday) with an epicentre 86 kilometres (53 miles) north of Tanahmerah, the US Geological Survey said. It revised the depth to nearly nine kilometres (5.5 miles).
The Indonesian Meteorological and Geophysics Agency had measured the quake at 6.2 magnitude, and said there was no tsunami potential because of its epicentre on land.
"The tremor was felt in nearby Tanahmerah, Merauke and Wamena. We haven't received any reports of damage so far," agency official Muhaimin told.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", where the meeting of continental plates causes high seismic activity through earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. 

Four killed as bus falls into river in Bahawalpur


BAHAWALPUR: A bus carrying thirteen passengers fell into Bahawal Canal that killed four persons including two women and two girls while four others sustained injuries.
According to police, the bus was on its way to Faisalabad from Bahawalnagar but unfortunately fell into the canal due to over speeding.
After the accident, local residents and police reached the spot to help the victims during which two women and two girls drowned. The injured were shifted to Tehsil Headquarter Hospital, Hasilpur.
Rescue teams have reached the accident site and efforts are underway to pull out the bus from the canal and shift the injured to hospital.

Friday, 28 October 2011

Boy pulled out alive five days after Turkey quake

Boy pulled out alive five days after Turkey quake
ERCIS: Rescue workers pulled out a 13-year-old boy alive from rubble early on Friday, over 100 hours after an earthquake that killed more than 500 people in eastern Turkey, Turkish media reported. 
The boy, who was rescued in the town of Ercis, the hardest hit by Sunday's 7.2 magnitude quake, was taken to hospital in an ambulance, broadcaster NTV said. 

Turkish quake toll reaches 570


ERCIS - The death toll from a devastating earthquake that hit eastern Turkey has risen to 570, the government's emergency unit said Friday.

More than 2,500 people were wounded in last Sunday's 7.2 magnitude quake, while 187 people have been pulled out alive from the debris, it added in a statement on its website.
The latest figure represents a rise of 20 on the last toll issued on Thursday night.
The earthquake hit eastern province of Van on Sunday, and town of Ercis took the full brunt of the quake as more than 80 buildings collapsed in the city.

Thursday, 27 October 2011

Death toll in Turk quake rises to 523

ISTANBUL - The death toll in an earthquake that hit southeast Turkey on Sunday has risen to 523, with 1,650 people injured, the Disaster and Emergency Administration said on Thursday.
In a statement, it also said 185 people had been rescued alive from collapsed buildings since the quake, which struck Van province on Sunday afternoon with a magnitude of 7.2. The crisis centre had said on Wednesday night the death toll was at 481.

Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Thousands leave flood-surrounded Thai capital


BANGKOK (AP) -- Residents poured out of the Thai capital by bus, plane and train Thursday, heeding government warnings to use a special five-day holiday to evacuate parts of the flood-threatened metropolis before a weekend deluge rushes through the city.
The evacuation warning applied to only two of Bangkok's 50 districts - Don Muang and Bang Phlat - but with the government acknowledging the entire city could flood in the coming days, many residents elsewhere were leaving before the situation got worse.
Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Patibatra said Thursday morning that he expected to soon announce an evacuation warning for Sai Mai district, on the capital's northern outskirts, where waist-high water has turned roads into virtual rivers and swamped gas stations and homes.
At least one foreign government is advising against all but essential travel to Bangkok, with Britain's Foreign Office saying "flooding is likely to disrupt transport, close tourist attractions and may affect electricity and water supplies."
The U.S. Embassy has been advising Americans that ground travel around Thailand was difficult and the situation should be monitored closely.
Thailand's government has for weeks sent conflicting messages about the dangers of the floods - which have killed 373 people nationwide since July and caused billions of dollars in damage - at times warning Bangkok was in imminent danger and at other times declaring the city would be safe.
But efforts to protect the capital were dealt a major psychological blow Tuesday, when floodwaters breached barriers around the city's second-largest airport and forced it to close.
Despite that, the vast majority of the city remained dry Thursday.
Thousands of people packed Bangkok's Mo Chit bus terminal Wednesday, trying to leave town on their own to take advantage of the five-day public holiday that runs Thursday through Monday in flood-affected areas, including Bangkok.
Some waited for hours on the sidewalk outside Mo Chit because there was no space inside the terminal, the main departure point for buses to Thailand's north.
Large crowds were also reported at the city's main international gateway, Suvarnabhumi airport, which remained open.
As the waters rose in Sai Mai, hundreds of residents clamored aboard packed military trucks with their belongings, desperate to leave. But help was in short supply.
"We haven't been able to get on one (military truck) yet, we have been waiting for almost an hour," said 71-year-old Saman Somsuk. "There aren't many trucks."
Others got out any way they could - in paddle boats, plastic tubs, inner tubes and rubber rafts. Several men floated down a flooded road in a makeshift boat made of empty oil barrels tied to a rectangular plank.
As fears of urban disaster set in, some residents built cement walls to protect their shops and homes.
Websites posted instructions on the proper way to stack sandbags. Many residents fortified vulnerable areas of their houses with bricks, gypsum board and plastic sheets. Walls of sandbags or cinderblocks covered the entrances of many buildings.
Concern that pumps would fail prompted a run on plastic containers in which to hoard water. Anticipating worse, one woman traveling on Bangkok's Skytrain transit system carried a bag of life vests.
Panic has gripped parts of the city as more and more of it is affected by the advancing water. Residents stocking up on food and other necessities have emptied supermarket shelves, and stores have posted notices that flooding was disrupting supply chains and leaving them unable to restock certain items.
Residents living near Mahasawat Canal in western Bangkok evacuated on Wednesday after a rapid overnight rise in water.
"I decided to leave because the water came in very fast," said Jong Sonthimen, a 57-year-old factory cleaner. A boat carried her and two plastic garbage bags with her belongings to a Buddhist temple, where pickup trucks waited to take residents to a safer area.
Key floodgates were opened in Bangkok to help drain runoff through urban canals to the sea, but rising tides in the Gulf of Thailand this weekend could slow the process and flood the city.

Nine die in Italy downpours


ROME: Bridges were swept away and villages hit by mudslides and floodwater in Italy's Tuscany and Liguria regions on Wednesday during torrential downpours that killed nine, officials and reports said.
Up to 500 millimeters (20 inches) of rain fell in just a few hours overnight Tuesday to Wednesday, according to weather reports.
Five people were reported missing.
The areas worst hit were the Spezia region and the picturesque Five Lands tourist destination, where seven people -- including a first aid worker -- died. Two bodies were also recovered from a mountainous part of northern Tuscany. 

Five killed in Jhang accident


Five killed in Jhang accidentJHANG: At least five people were killed and 15 injured during a traffic accident. 
According to the SHO Saddar police station Asif Shah the three vehicle accident took place when a car tried to overtake a van uploading passengers and collided with another passenger bus. 
Rescue 1122 reached the spot and rushed the injured to nearby hospitals while emergency was declared at all Jhang hospitals. 

Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Vehari: ambulance, bus collision kills 4


VEHARI: Three people of a family among four lost their lives while eight others sustained injuries in a road accident on Melsi road in Vehari, in the wee hours of Wednesday Geo News reported.
The incident took place along Melsi Road when a passenger bus rammed into an ambulance, carrying a corpse, near Karampur.
As a result, three members of a family among four people died on the spot. Eight people also received injuries in the incident.
The injured had been taken to Melsi Hospital Vehari for treatment. Two of the injured were in critical condition.

Eight killed in Attock bus accident

Eight killed in Attock bus accident
ATTOCK: At least eight people were killed when the cylinder of a passenger bus exploded, Geo News reported. 
The accident took place near the Kalla Chitta Pahar area and ambulances have been rushed to the scene. 
According to Rescue 1122, there were 10-12 passengers on the bus, eight were killed and the rest injured. 
The injured have been shifted to a nearby hospital. 

7 dead, 40 injured in Sheikhupura bus mishap


SHEIKHUPURA: Seven people were killed and forty injured when an overloaded passenguer bus overturned at the Sangla Safdarabad road, Geo News reported. 

The bus was en-route to Lahore from Sangla Hill when it overturned due to a failure in the tie rod and several people were thrown beneath the bus. 

The injured were shifted to the Faruqabad and Lahore hospitals, where some of them are reported to be in critical condition. 

All out cooperation to be extended to Turkey quake victims: Nawaz


Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Mian Nawaz Sharif said on Tuesday that all out assistance would be provided to the earthquake victims of Turkey. 


Sharif met with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara and urged Turkey to explore the great investment opportunities in Pakistan in the fields of power, energy, communication, and agriculture. 
Thanking Mian Nawaz Sharif, Erdogan welcomed Pakistani nation’s emotions for the victims of the earthquake in Turkey.
Nawaz Sharif, on Sunday, arrived in Turkey on a seven-day visit on the invitation of Turkish President Abdullah Gull and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.